1.) …the job:
– What are the most immediate projects that need to be addressed?
– Can you show me examples of projects I’d be working on?
– What are the skills and experiences you’re looking for in an ideal candidate?
– What attributes does someone need to have in order to be really successful in this position?
– What types of skills is the team missing that you’re looking to fill with a new hire?
– What are the biggest challenges that someone in this position would face?
– What training programs are available to your employees?
– Are there opportunities for advancement or professional development?
– Where is the last person who held this job moving on to?
– Where have successful employees previously in this position progressed to?
3.) …your performance:
– What are the most important things you’d like to see someone accomplish in the first 30, 60, and 90 days on the job?
– What are the performance expectations of this position over the first 12 months?
– What is the performance review process like? How often would I be formally reviewed?
– What metrics or goals will my performance be evaluated against?
4.) …the interviewer (hint: be personal):
– How long have you been with the company?
– Has your role changed since you’ve been here?
– What did you do before this?
– Why did you come to this company?
– What’s your favorite part about working here?
5.) …the company:
Read our blog entry #5 as a start, potentially add:
– Where do you see this company in the next few years?
– What can you tell me about your new products or plans for growth?
– What gets you most excited about the company’s future?
6.) …the team:
– Can you tell me about the team I’ll be working with?
– Who will I work with most closely?
– Who will I report to directly?
– Do you expect to hire more people in this department in the next six months?
– Which other departments work most closely with this one?
– What are the common career paths in this department?
7.) …the culture:
– What is the company and team culture like?
– How would you describe the work environment here – is the work typically collaborative or more independent?
– Can you tell me about the last team event you did together?
– What’s your favourite office tradition?
– What’s different about working here than anywhere else you’ve worked?
– How has the company changed since you joined?
8.) …next Steps (very important!):
– What are the next steps in the interview process?
– Is there anything else I can provide you with that would be helpful?
– Can I answer any final questions for you?